Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Prince, Gentleman & Friend




RESPECT- Michael Berniker (1935-2008) I just learned that a friend and mentor of mine, Michael Berniker passed away last Friday. I don't know where to begin in telling of Mike's influence on me, both professionally and as a human. We worked together at Columbia Records and Mike was one of those true old school record men. He was nearly thirty years my senior, but he made me feel a peer, though for my lacking anywhere near his accomplishments in music. He taught me pretty much all I know about songwriting and what makes a song great. He worked with everyone from Johnny Mathis to Barbra Streisand, in addition to producing a ton of successful Broadway show albums. I cherished the time he would make with me to go off to lunches, just so I could pick his brain and gain his wisdom. I think Mike could have equally been a successful comedian. Never have I laughed and learned so much from one man. I was able to take all that Mike imparted on me and become a better A&R executive. I haven't been much in touch with Mike the past 7-8 years and this I hugely regret. To Heather, Mark & Judy my deepest condolences. Michael, gentleman & genius, today's news devastates me and I wish you much peace and beautiful music.

Thoughts of Condolences can be sent to Mike's wife, Heather:

Heather Berniker
52 Connelly Road
Hillsdale, NY 12529

No comments: